View Issue Details

IDProjectCategoryView StatusLast Update
0006841VALENTINA STUDIOTool - Data Editorpublic2014-05-02 10:44
ReporterSergey Payu Assigned ToSergey Pashkov  
PrioritynormalSeveritymajorReproducibilityalways
Status resolvedResolutionfixed 
PlatformLinux 64 bitOSUbuntuOS Version14.04
Product Version5.5.5 
Target Version5.5.8 
Summary0006841: UTF8 strings look corrupted in data editor even though table charset is set to utf8
DescriptionAll utf8 strings look corrupted in data editor even though table charset is set to utf8.
Steps To Reproduce1. Connect to DB
2. Open UTF8 table with UTF8 content
Additional InformationScreenshot can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/NnU3asS.png
TagsNo tags attached.
Working with DB:mySQL Server
Version of your DB

Activities

Sergey Pashkov

Sergey Pashkov

2014-04-30 09:45

developer   ~0007770

1. Does this data look right when you view it from phpMyAdmin and MySQL Workbench?
2. Do you fill this data via some PHP application?
3. Do you set UTF8 connection encoding explicitly?
Sergey Payu

Sergey Payu

2014-04-30 10:17

reporter   ~0007771

1. The data seems right in both phpMyAdmin and Workbench
2. Originally I have filled the data through HeidiSQL
3. Are you talking about php? It doesn't matter, I put data thought HeidiSQL and the data seems right on the actual webpage. I experience this problem only with VStudio.

Is there anything I can give you to help the investigation? If it helps, I have Cyrillic strings in DB and my OS localisation is set to En/US
Sergey Pashkov

Sergey Pashkov

2014-04-30 16:21

developer   ~0007773

Are VStudio and MySQL server installed on the same host?

I've installed Ubuntu 14.04, mysql-server, VStudio 5.5.5.
Created UTF8 database and table, entered Russian characters and it worked.
Then connected from HeidiSQL on Windows and tried the same.
Characters are fine in both applications.

Please try to execute following query in VStudio in the target database and show the output:
SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'character_set_%';
Sergey Payu

Sergey Payu

2014-05-01 05:55

reporter   ~0007774

Server and VStuio are installed on the different hosts.

My SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'character_set_%' output is shown here:

http://i.imgur.com/0wNS6mp.png

So, as you predicted it's related to the charset settings. "character_set_results" to be specific. Changing "character_set_results" to utf8 solved the problem. Correct me if I'm wrong, the client (VStudio) should correctly handle the connection charset from remote DB or make the SET NAMES 'utf8' request right after connection. Unfortunately I use shared hosting and can't change mysql config to make connection settings permanent. It's very unhandy to make the set name request manually on every db connection.
Sergey Pashkov

Sergey Pashkov

2014-05-01 19:08

developer   ~0007775

Currently charset is defined by mysql client API call, and usually it works (checked on MySQL 5.5.34).
What version is installed on shared hosting that you're using?
Sergey Payu

Sergey Payu

2014-05-02 06:00

reporter   ~0007776

MySQL version is 5.0.67
Sergey Pashkov

Sergey Pashkov

2014-05-02 10:44

developer   ~0007777

MySQL server has the startup option --skip-character-set-client-handshake,
and if it is defined, it ignores charset, defined before connection.

I can reproduce a problem only when this option is set to TRUE.
Anyway, an additional setting of encoding was added so the problem should not appear again.

Issue History

Date Modified Username Field Change
2014-04-30 08:16 Sergey Payu New Issue
2014-04-30 09:45 Sergey Pashkov Note Added: 0007770
2014-04-30 10:17 Sergey Payu Note Added: 0007771
2014-04-30 16:21 Sergey Pashkov Note Added: 0007773
2014-05-01 05:55 Sergey Payu Note Added: 0007774
2014-05-01 19:08 Sergey Pashkov Note Added: 0007775
2014-05-02 06:00 Sergey Payu Note Added: 0007776
2014-05-02 10:36 Sergey Pashkov Assigned To => Sergey Pashkov
2014-05-02 10:36 Sergey Pashkov Status new => assigned
2014-05-02 10:36 Sergey Pashkov Target Version => 5.5.6
2014-05-02 10:44 Sergey Pashkov Note Added: 0007777
2014-05-02 10:44 Sergey Pashkov Status assigned => resolved
2014-05-02 10:44 Sergey Pashkov Fixed in Version => 5.5.6
2014-05-02 10:44 Sergey Pashkov Resolution open => fixed